I'll start with photos!
March 2010:
April 2010:
July 2010:
In October 2010:

December 2010 (at my wedding):

Today (March 29 2011):
Front-
Side -
Back -
And two sucking in (hehe)
I am pretty good about taking my vitamins -- I've found my patterns, my niches, and I like the GummiVites multivitamins from Target. I take two in the morning and the afternoon, with my Caltrate Maximum. I take 150mg Poly-Iron at night, before I go to bed.
I still don't eat enough protein, so I'm still taking a protein supplement that gives me 42g of protein in a little shot -- the Protein Bullet, which I mix with tea to dilute the flavor, which is pretty strong. I was never able to stomach powdered protein supplements, like many of you, and these little bullets, recommended to me by someone here were quite the lifesaver.
I can drink a little bit, but I get drunk quite easily. I'm aware of what the rules are, so I know when I'm breaking them and don't need to be told. I do tend to stick pretty rigorously to the "no drinking 1.5 hours after eating" rule, and I don't usually feel like I consume that much during the day. I probably hover around 1000-1300 calories in a day right now.
I do a lot more exercise than I did previously, but not as much as I want to do. I do research in the jungle and so I walk a lot when I'm there, but swimming remains my favorite type of aerobic activity. I'm joining a friend to do open water swims when I get back to the USA.
I do have a bunch of lose skin, most notably around my thighs and abdomen, but I've gotten sort of funny excess-skin wrinkles like an old lady on my neck. I think if I contemplate any plastic surgery, though, it'll be brachioplasty because the excess skin on my arms is a bit insane! My arms were always one of the fattest parts of me, though.
The surgery has absolutely made weight loss, as a concept, easier for me, but it hasn't made food any easier for me. I still struggle regularly with how much I SHOULD be eating and what kinds of food. I tend to eat small quantities of a vast variety of things, but harbor serious trepidation about certain new foods. I still throw up sometimes, but not as often as I used to (I had serious problems with the size of my anastoma right after surgery).
Regardless, I do feel like a much smaller person. I went from wearing a 22 on bottom to wearing a 12. I feel sexy, and I can even buy clothes from trendy designers like Free People. I don't need to go to specialty stores to buy pants, and the last corset I bought for a fetish event was a medium and my waist was SO SMALL. I wear things I would never have worn previously, and my confidence is much better, even if I still feel like a Big Person™.
My bubbies are so small now! I had to buy all new bras, and they're sort of sad and flat. That's been something weird to get used to. I was always buxom when I was heavier.
I have barely told anyone I know about the surgery. It's really hard to hide how little I am eating at public events, and I have created this whole system to make it less noticeable. I got some flack at a dinner party this past Sunday in Kinshasa where I'm living right now because I wasn't continually eating the vast quantity of food that everyone else was. This kind of attention I dread, and go out of my way to avoid it!
I remain really happy with my choice to have the surgery. I gave my first scientific presentation in Kyoto this past September and I really felt good about the way I carried myself, and my confidence helped me network with colleagues and is helping my future research a lot.
100+ pounds down, only 30 pounds to go!
1 comment:
I'm so so so proud of your progress. You have always been one of the most beautiful people I know, inside and out. I'm thrilled that you look and feel more confident and happy in your own gorgeous skin <3
Post a Comment