
For the year 2008, I've decided that I am tired of being fat. It's just the end of it. There's been a lifetime of fattitude.
Even as a child, I was fat. My parents were fat. We used to eat Chinese food for dinner most nights at 10 pm, when my mother got home from work. My mother didn't know how to cook, and we had a small, mostly-unusable kitchen.
I do have fond memories of sitting with my father, watching the A-Team while we ate pepperoni from the stick.

So one can say quite handily that my lessons about eating from an early age were bad. I've continued the pattern, tending more often than not to eat out at restaurants, eat when I wasn't hungry, eat more than I was hungry for, cleaned my plate when it wasn't necessary and generally developed the worst eating habits imaginable.
Additionally, I've become accustomed to eating when I was upset. Spiting myself for feeling bad, and eating especially bad food when I'm sad.
The easiest ti
me I had with my weight was when I lived in Uganda. I had nothing but fresh foods, walked almost everywhere and always spent time outdoors breathing fresh air.To say that moving back to New York has been a change of pace would be an understatement. Despite my efforts when I first came back to walk often, I've reverted to my old bad habits of ordering in, being relatively immobile, taking lots of taxis and gaining weight.
I'm determined not to let this slope be slippery. Last year, I spent several months eating nothing but Raw Food, that is, food that has not been warmed to above 118ºF. I really enjoyed the feeling of energy it gave me, but I also felt empowered by its restrictiveness.
This coming year, I plan to restart the Raw Food Diet again and supplement it wit
h a new fitness regime.Starting on January 1st, it will be a battle of willpower as I try to combat my lifelong love of food with a newer, better approach towards food and eating and exercise. My goal is to lose about 5 pounds every month for the next year and ideally lose about 60 pounds.
More importantly, I want to feel better about myself. I no longer want to feel anxiety about the way I look. I'm not a typically obese girl; I enjoy shopping immensely and don't feel ashamed, but I am self-conscious of how other's perceive me.
I hope to blog daily about what I'm eating, the hurdles I'm facing and my workout schedule. I'm keeping this blog separate from my personal blog, because I don't need any sort of reaffirmation from my friends. I'm keeping this blog for myself.
And with that, the year begins.
No comments:
Post a Comment